I got a style from Blogstyles just to jumpstart the new design. I don’t like it that much but at least it gives me something other than the default MT styles. I just don’t have a lot of time to design right now.
So far I’m liking Movable Type better than PMachine, althought it is unfortunate that my posts wouldn’t import without serious work. I may get around to typing them in someday.
Well I got set up with Blake at LISHost.com. I’m not moving the blog immediately as I want to spend I little time learning Blake’s setup and moving the blog over to Movable Type. PMachine is nice but it’s definitely very Mac oriented and isn’t nearly as widely adopted and not quite as feature rich as MT. So for the next little bit the blog will still be on the Mac in an effort to make the transition as painless as possible.
Maybe now I can concentrate on actual blogging.
Decided to keep the blog on the Mac and keep using PMachine. It works and a barely have time to blog, much less tinker with a server. That being said I’m pondering moving librarymonk.com to LISHost.com In fact I probably will soon. Getting the Ph. D. and other things has caused a serious reallocation of my time and I don’t have much time to tinker anymore.
And there are might be better/cheaper hosts out there but I like the fact that LIS Host is librarian oriented. Because while my ALA accredited degree says Information Sciences and the Ph. D. is Communications, I am after all a Library Monk.
The server had a bit of downtime due to an unnoticed router issue that has since been fixed. I guess that proves how busy I’ve been that I hadn’t noticed.
LibraryMonk will be moving soon to a dedicated WinXP machine from the Mac OS X machine it is on now. I know, I know the inner geek screams in horror. Win XP isn’t really a server operating system and it’s Windows even worse. Mac OS X (non server) has some serious quirks that bug me as far as a server goes, makes a great media machine though.
Then there is Linux. I ran Mandrake for a while and I like it well enough, but software compatibilty is an issue. So I’ll try win XP and see how that goes.
I’m also pondering switching blog systems, maybe Blosxom or Movable Type.
Updated the blog to pMachine Pro. Not a lot of readily obvious new features, just a lot of stuff I haven’t figured out how to use yet. I did change the comment system so that anybody can post comments, no registration required, never liked that anyway. In other news my main clown infozo has moved his blog and and switched to using blosxom. Interesting that you can get that much out of CGI, but I like PHP and MySQL.
There was a power outage (I was gone) and my computers did not get assigned IP numbers in the correct order. As a result Library Monk was down for a while. But now all is well
After some prodding from an individual who shall go nameless I finally got around to working on the blog a bit. The picture I put up for a logo of is a woodcut of St. Jerome by Albrecht Dürer (1471 – 1533). I picked this one because it had St. Jerome’s lions. Hopefully I’ll get time to work on more than the front page later.
Library Monk, the blog of Dan Greene, is now up and running. It is still under construction, pardon the mess